The floral trend continues in Milan and also here on the coast of Maine. I started this latest shirtmaking project with two lengths of fabric, one floral, the other a stripe. Each piece was adequate to make a shirt, but just barely. After adding some striped accents to the mostly floral shirt, I naturally don’t have enough striped fabric to make a whole shirt. So I’m adding some floral touches here and there to make up for the lack of fabric.
Shirt two is sporting a floral inner collar stand and yoke, plus floral elbow patches.
Elbow patches are new territory for me, and I think these flowery ones are kind of fun. They add some much needed interest to what’s a pretty bland striped shirt. Once I figured out where they had to be placed, it became clear that I would have to make little stubby sleeve plackets. Otherwise, the placket I usually use would have run over the elbow patches. And, yes, as you can see I’m terrible at making plackets match up. But I’m not losing any sleep over it.
Some goodies have arrived in the mail recently, so here’s a sneak peek of what’s in store for both shirts. I’m lifting a page out of Claudine’s play book and venturing into the world of ombré dyeing. This should be fun. Wish me luck!